Thursday, February 24, 2005

Happy 6-Months, Ari!



Dear Ari,
Already six months? And I thought this day would never come! I am so happy that we’re here. I can’t believe we’re halfway to celebrating your birthday. Owen will be so happy; you know how he loves birthdays! Seriously, it’s just in the last two months or so that you and I have really started to know each other. I mean, I’ve known you for a long time, ever since I found out I was pregnant with you. And a part of me feels like I’ve known you for even longer than that, for my whole life, anticipating you. But as far as personality traits, habits, likes and dislikes, it’s been recently that you’ve become Ari, and not just a baby. I am enjoying you so much right now, at this age. It’s not easy being a mommy to two little guys, and a working mommy. It’s not easy to come home at night and be completely exhausted, and still not be able to even sit down and rest my feet until everyone is fed, bathed, in bed, and all preparations are done to start it all over again tomorrow! But I can’t say that I’d trade it for the world. I am so happy to see your little face every day when I come pick you up. You smile at me, so wide, and you squint your eyes and wrinkle up your nose with delight, and sometimes just for kicks, you throw your head back and yell. Talk about a warm welcome! It makes my whole day better to see you.

I was concerned when I was pregnant with you that this wouldn’t work, this concept of two babies at once. I thought I’d have trouble letting go of Owen, loving two different babies the same. I thought Owen would be traumatized by having to share his parents, and I thought for sure that you’d suffer from not having the one-on-one attention that Owen had. But my fears haven’t proven true. Ari, I have no problems loving you with my whole heart. I don’t know how it works really, how I can love two babies with my whole heart. But it’s possible, because I love you so much. I’ve said this before, but it’s true: there’s something between you and me, a connection when I look into your face. You move me in a way I’m unaccustomed to. You are a very special baby, and you make every day of my life better just by being in it. I always write to your brother that I love him now more than ever, and the same is true for you Ari Kyle. I love you today more than ever before, and I’ll love you more tomorrow than I do today.

I know that growing up, we’ll face different issues between us than Owen and I will have. There will be sibling rivalry and things that aren’t fair and I’ll make wrong decisions regarding discipline and all matters of things; you’ll do all kinds of things that will make me shake my head and wonder about kids these days. But the one thing that will always be between us, at least I hope and pray, is honesty. I will be honest with you about everything, and I want you to trust me with your secrets. I hope we can always be best friends, even when you get older and way cooler than me, and even when I’m old and weird. I love you too much to find friends anywhere else. Just you and me, baby, and Owen and Daddy. Our family. We have something so special.

For the record, at 6 months, you:

  • weigh 21.8 pounds, and are 26.5 inches long. Three pounds heavier than Owen was at 6 months.
  • wear a size 3 diaper, and 6-9 month clothes, as well as some 12-month clothes.
  • roll everywhere, both ways, every direction. Constantly.
  • are pretty much mobile. You don’t exactly crawl, but you can get anywhere you want.
  • are still a breastfed baby, which is wonderful. You take about 30 ounces a day.
  • are eating solids, fruits and vegetables.
  • love your big brother more than anything (but Mom and Dad are a close second!).
  • smile and laugh and talk to anyone who gives you a second look.
  • nap usually twice a day, one long nap in the mornings and a shorter one in late afternoon.
  • aren’t sleeping through the night, and aren’t even close. On a good night you get up once around 3AM. On a normal night, you’re up three times.
  • can hold a spoon, but don’t have any thoughts of what it’s for. Same with a sippy cup.
  • are still only babbling vowel sounds. No ma-ma-ma-ma yet.
  • like toys a lot. Any sort of baby toy is right up your alley.
  • are still in your baby carseat, and you hate that it lays down and faces backwards.
  • enjoy hearing me sing the ABC song (I do have a lovely singing voice). It puts you to sleep.
  • are startled by the dog, and sometimes you cry if he gets too close (same with Chicken Dance Cookie Monster).
  • are taking baths in the big tub with Owen, which you love.
  • refuse to take a binky.
  • can go to sleep on your own most nights, but sometimes you still require a little rocking.

I can’t believe we’re at six months already. I know from recent experience that it only gets better from here. I can’t wait to hear your first word, see you crawl and then take that first step, get your first big wet slobbery open-mouth kiss. I am so proud of my boys, both beautiful, healthy, intelligent little boys. I love you, Ari Kyle, and I will always be here for you. Daddy, too, and your brother, too. You are loved, baby boy.

Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robyn,

You are a great writer. Everytime I read your journal I feel as though I am there with you. I miss you lots.

XXOO

Jules

Andrea said...

What a cutie, he looks so much like kyle. How is he doing I haven't seen him since high school?