Monday, March 14, 2011

A Time to Plant

This weekend my parents were in town, and along with my grandpa's help, we all pitched in to build four new raised garden beds in our backyard. This brings our total gardening area to 238 square feet. We filled the beds with a lovely mix of topsoil and mushroom compost, and now we sit back and wait for the weather to turn. Just a few more short weeks, and I will be transplanting all of my little seedlings outside. And, actually, in just a few days I'll be putting in the potatoes. I can't wait to see what grows this year!
I'm planting all heirloom varieties - five varieties of tomatoes, four varieties of peppers, cucumbers, beans (snap and dry), okra, broccoli, peas, brussel sprouts, squash, zucchini, potatoes, ground cherries, herbs, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting. I'm also very hopeful that we will get blueberry bushes put in within the next few weeks. I can't imagine anything sweeter, in the wet cold months of February and March, than a sun-warmed vegetable traveling the short distance between the backyard and our plates, and nourishing my little family.

No comments: