Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Of nails, recipes, and ye babe of 18 months

Now that I’ve finally managed to grow my nails out to an acceptable length, I’m really wondering why it is I wanted to have nails in the first place. Why do people like long nails? I personally find more cons with them than pros.

Pros:
Can remove rogue stickers from household objects
Can assist Owen when he says his back itches

Cons:
Requires much effort to keep them clean underneath
Randomly leave red marks on children (drive-by scratches)
Also randomly scratch myself, ouch.

My nails are kind of weird looking, presumably after years of abuse.
I don’t know about this. I’m going to hold off until I feel like they are an appropriate length for a manicure, then go treat myself. Maybe they know some secret to making the nails look very nice. Otherwise, I am not impressed.

Also, by request, the winning meatloaf recipe:

Zesty Onion Meatloaf
1.5 lbs ground beef
1 C marinara
1 C French fried onions
1 egg
2 T Worcestershire
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper

Mix beef, 1/3 C marinara, 2/3 C French fried onions, egg, Worcestershire, salt and pepper in a bowl. Shape into a loaf and place into a loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Drain fat, top meatloaf with remaining marinara and french fried onions. Put back into oven until onions are crispy and browned (about 5 minutes).

And, for good measure, the winning chili:

Robyn’s "In the Bag" Redneck Chili
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 can Rotel
1 can Rotel Milder
1 can black beans
1 can light red kidney beans
1 can chili hot beans
1 package of chili seasoning (mild)

Brown beef with onion. Drain and put into slow cooker. Add all remaining ingredients (do not drain beans). Add water until desired consistency. Slow cook for 2 – 4 hours.

Good winter food!

This afternoon Ari is headed to the doctor for his 18-month checkup and shots. Today my baby is 18 months old. I can’t believe he’s rounding the corner to 2 years old! I can’t hardly call him baby anymore; he’s officially a toddler now! I love that little AK.

No comments: