Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Ari Kyle - 18 Months


Dear Ari Kyle,
It was 18 months ago today that you changed everything, and I can't believe how quickly the time is flying by. I remember when I first found out about you, telling your daddy that I was pregnant, telling your brother. I remember my first doctor's visit, how he told me I was probably going to miscarry. I remember the first ultrasound we had, when the doctor said he was "70% sure" you were a boy, and also when he said I would need a c-section due to partial placenta previa. I remember switching doctors at 34 weeks, and the new doctor sending me to another ultrasound, where we saw for sure that you were a boy, and that I didn't have PPP after all. I remember being in labor with you all day, trying to keep Owen entertained until your daddy came home. I
remember checking in to the hospital, thinking I had a bladder infection - and ending up being dilated to 5. So there we stayed, until you were born, all 9 pounds, 3 ounces of you. I remember the jaundice, the nursing nightmares, going back to work, waiting and waiting for February 2005, when you would be 6 months old. Seemed like a magic number, when you'd sleep more, be less dependant on me for nursing. And then - here we are at 18 months old. We'll be having your second birthday party this summer. How did we get here? Just proves to me yet again that every single minute is a gift, because you blink and time disappears.

Per your doctor at your 18-month check-up, you weigh 30 pounds, 8 ounces (90th percentile) and you are 34 inches tall (65th percentile). She was impressed with your happy disposition, when you let her look in your ears, listen to your heart, poke your belly, with nothing but a smile. She kept commenting on how happy you are, how smiley. You've always loved people - you love to make people smile and laugh. Class clown, I call you.


At 18 months, you are:
  • very coordinated. You're walking and running, and trying to jump. You can throw or kick a ball, which is a great skill for your age.
  • wearing mostly 24-month clothes now, and still in a size 4 diaper.
  • so into music and dancing.
  • learning to color.
  • so impressed with Owen. You are a little mimic to everything he does.
  • a good eater (although not so good with the silverware yet), and you eat most everything I give you.
  • an attention hog, wanting all eyes on you all the time.
  • a lovebug. You are a snuggler, and you love to give kisses and hugs.
  • obsessed with vaccuming.
  • getting really good at climbing on furniture. You fall out of chairs a lot less than Owen!
  • blowing kisses and waving/saying hello and bye-bye.
  • talking a little more. You aren't a talker by any means, not like your brother was. You make your wishes known with points and grunts and shrieks. You do know some words: mama, dada, dog, ball, more, no, please, thank you, Owen, done. They don't sound much like they should, but I get you.
So little man, happy 18 months. I've said it before, you and I have a special connection. Your face means everything to me. That smile, those eyes, I feel it deep inside. You came along and changed everything about our whole lives, and we've never looked back. You are my joy, and I am your mother. Can we always stay this way?

Love,
Mommy

No comments: